Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Topic: Battle of Gettysburg
The turning point for the Civil War was fought in Pennsylvania, at Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863). The students will be given three websites to read and answer questions about this historical battle. They will also discuss what might have happened if the Northern soldiers had lost the battle of Gettysburg.
California Content Standard:
Grade 8, United States History and Geography: Growth and Conflict. 8.10 Students analyze the multiple causes, key events, and complex consequences of the Civil War.
Subject Matter and Grade Level: U.S. History, 8th Grade
• The History Place, Battle of Gettysburg (This site provides a brief description of the Battle of Gettysburg), http:/www.history.com/civilwar/battle.htm
• About.com: American History (This site is an in depth description of the Battle of Gettysburg), http://americanhistory.about.com/od/civilwarbattles/a/gettysburgone.htm
• The Ten Costliest Battles of the Civil War (This site refers to several battles and their casualties), http://www.civilwarhome.com/battles.htm
Questions for Research:
1. *Essential Questions* How did Gettysburg determine the faith of the Civil War?
2. Who won the Battle of Gettysburg?
3. Who were the two major individuals involved in the Battle of Gettysburg?
4. Where did the Battle of Gettysburg occur?
5. What was General Robert E. Lee attempting to do at the Battle of Gettysburg?
6. How many American lives were lost at the Battle of Gettysburg?
7. The Union Soldiers were first deployed at what ridge?
8. What were the names of the region where the battles took place?
9. Why was the Battle of Gettysburg an accident?
10. What President gave the Gettysburg Address?